Monday, January 23, 2012

Herbed Corn

My sister made this recipe for our Christmas dinner last month.  She wasn't too crazy about it.  It was a bit too overflavored, but I've adjusted it and now it's one of our favorites!  I like it because I can buy the cheap frozen corn instead of the steamfresh kind I'm used to buying.  Adding all the seasoning covers up that "cheap" flavor that comes along with the cheap corn.  Did I say cheap too much?!?  Sorry.

The recipe is written to feed an army.  I'll include it "as is" and then tell you how I make it.


Herbed Corn

12 cups frozen corn
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter, cubed
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

In a large saucepan, combine corn and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until corn is tender. Drain; stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve warm.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you want to keep the types of spices the same, I would recommend using a half recipe of the spices listed for a large bag of corn.



Half "Spices" recipe:

1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I did not include the dill weed or the salt, and I used dried ingredients instead.  I think I cut back on the parsley as well.  In a normal world I wouldn't, but my kids freak out when there is green stuff on their food.  Oh, and my corn cooked WAY longer than 4-6 minutes.

Here's the link to Herbed Corn on Allrecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment